Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cook Time: 30 Mins
Makes: 6 side dish servings OR 4 entrée servings
2 cups packed unpeeled shredded zucchini 3/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided 1/4 cup butter 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1-1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/4 cup milk
1 container (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese 4 eggs
1. COMBINE zucchini and salt in a medium bowl. Let STAND 30 minutes.
RINSE zucchini thoroughly in a colander. SQUEEZE out excess water.
2. PREHEAT oven to 375°F. SPRAY six 1/2-cup soufflé dishes if using as a
side dish OR four 1-cup soufflé dishes if using as an entrée. COAT bottom and sides of dishes using 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese; set aside.
3. Meanwhile, MELT butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. STIR in
flour and mustard until smooth. Gradually WHISK in milk. HEAT to boiling; reduce heat. COOK and STIR 1 minute or until thickened.
4. REMOVE from heat. STIR in feta and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
and zucchini. SEPARATE eggs. STIR yolks into zucchini mixture.
5. PLACE whites in a mixing bowl. BEAT on high speed of mixer until stiff
peaks form. Gently FOLD half of egg whites into zucchini mixture. REPEAT with remaining whites.
6. Gently SPOON zucchini mixture into prepared dishes, filling 3/4 full.
7. BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until mixture is puffed, delicately browned and
soufflé shakes slightly when oven rack is gently moved back and forth. SERVE immediately.
Mixture may also be baked in ramekins or custard cups in the sizes indicated in the recipe.
For a “top hat” appearance, hold spoon upright and circle the egg mixture to make a ring about 1-inch from side of dish and 1-inch deep. Bake as recipe directs.
Nutrition information per serving (1 side dish soufflé): 242 calories; 18g total fat; 10g saturated fat; 1g polyunsaturated fat; 4g monounsaturated fat; 169mg cholesterol; 574mg sodium; 8g carbohydrate; 1g dietary fiber; 12g protein; 657.2 IU Vitamin A; 36.1 IU Vitamin D; 42.0mcg folate; 238.8mg calcium; 1.3 mg iron; 108.8mg choline.
Recipe source: IncredibleEgg.org