Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cook Time: 20 Mins
Makes: 4 Servings
4 large EGGS
1 1/2 cups whole wheat spaghetti
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
4 medium zucchini, spiralized into noodles
1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2 cups packed baby spinach
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
1. BRING large pot of water to boil, add spaghetti and cook per package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, HEAT olive oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. ADD garlic and chili flakes and COOK for 1 minute, stirring continually. ADD zucchini noodles, salt and pepper and COOK, tossing gently, for 1 to 2 minutes or until zucchini has softened. STIR tomatoes, spinach, lemon zest and juice gently into zucchini mixture until well combined. COOK for another 1 to 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted and tomatoes are warmed through.
3. When pasta is done, DRAIN and ADD to skillet mixture. REMOVEfrom heat.
4. HEAT 2 to 3 inches of water in a large saucepan to boiling. ADJUST HEAT to keep liquid SIMMERING gently.
5. BREAK eggs, 1 at a time, into a cup. Holding dish close to surface, SLIP egg into water.
6. COOK eggs until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not stir. LIFT eggs from water with slotted spoon. DRAIN in spoon or on paper towels. TRIM any rough edges, if desired.
7. DIVIDE zucchini and pasta mixture among 4 dinner plates or bowls, TOP each with 1 poached egg and GARNISH with basil. SERVE immediately.
Use a spiralizer or spiral vegetable slicer on a setting such as curl to create a shape that resembles long and thin noodles. Blot zucchini noodles with a paper towel if moist and watery before proceeding with recipe.
Cooking eggs to a soft poach allows the yolk to remain runny, which creates a creamy sauce when cut into over the zucchini noodles.
Always use very fresh eggs for poaching. They hold their shape better and form fewer wispy threads or “angel wings” in the water.
Per serving: 1/4 of recipe
Total fat: 13 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Polyunsaturated fat: 2 g
Monounsaturated fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 186 mg
Sodium: 239 mg
Protein: 12 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Vitamin A: 142 mcg
Vitamin D: 1 mcg
Folate: 84 mcg
Calcium: 76 mg
Iron: 2 mg
Potassium: 850 mg
Choline: 171 mg
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, folate and choline and a good source of fiber, vitamin A, iron and potassium.