Prep Time: 30 Mins
Cook Time: 55 Mins
Sweet Potato Souffle
1 lb Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
3 Large Eggs, seperated
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Evaporated Milk or Whole Milk
1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg (optional)
2 tbsp Melted Butter
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Flour
2-3 oz Walnuts or Pecan, chopped
- Rinse, peel, and cut the sweet potatoes into chunks, then add to a medium saucepan. Cover the potatoes with water by at least an inch.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat. Cook until tender and potatoes are easily pierced with a fork – about 12-15 minutes or more depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Drain water and simmer for about a minute or until water has evaporated. Transfer potatoes into a bowl and mash using a masher or spoon. Separate the eggs, then add yolks to the bowl of mashed sweet potatoes.
- Add brown sugar, vanilla extract, and evaporated milk. Thoroughly mix using a handheld mixer, a stand mixer works just as well.
- Add the melted butter and mix, followed by the flour, baking powder, salt, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
- In a medium bowl, beat the whites until they form stiff, glossy peaks. This helps souffle from being too dense, do not overbeat.
- Gently fold a third of the egg whites into the sweet potato mixture using a large spatula. This initially lightens up the mixture and prepares the batter for the remaining egg whites.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole or divide it in ramekins.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until well puffed and slightly brown on top. Do not open the oven door for at least 20 minutes to prevent cold air from collapsing the souffle. Souffle will deflate slightly when removed from the oven.
- (Optional) Take the Sweet Potato Souffle out of the oven after 23 minutes of baking. Add toppings and broil in the oven for about 2-3 minutes or until the marshmallows turn slightly brown.