Prep Time: 5 Mins
1 lb sweet potatoes, scrubbed and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup red or yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. ground cayenne powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
4 large eggs
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and place a rimmed baking sheet in the oven while it preheats.
- Add sweet potato, onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, 1 tablespoon oil, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, ¼ teaspoon salt and black pepper to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and coat with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to spread potatoes and vegetables out evenly onto the baking sheet. Bake, stirring occasionally during cooking time, until sweet potatoes are fork-tender, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Move vegetables away from the sides, toward the center of the baking sheet (to create a mound for adding the eggs). Use the back of a spoon to create 4 wells in hash. Crack one egg into each well. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until whites are set and yolk is jammy, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drizzle vinegar over everything and garnish with chopped chives just before serving.
- Be sure to keep potatoes to a ½-inch size so that they cook evenly and quickly.
- Cracking the egg into a bowl first makes it easy to remove any rogue eggshell that may end up in the egg when it’s cracked.
- The USDA recommends cooking eggs until the yolk and whites are firm.