Prep Time: 20 Mins
Cook Time: 1 Hr 30 Mins
4 large eggs
½ tsp. cream of tartar
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped
50 chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 225°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy over medium speed, about 1 minute.
3. With the mixer on medium speed, gradually add sugar, 1 spoonful at a time, beating for 15-30 seconds between each addition. When all sugar has been added, increase speed to medium-high and beat until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
4. Beat in vanilla bean seeds. Transfer meringue to a large piping bag fitted with a round tip.
5. Place a dot of meringue underneath all 4 corners of parchment paper so it adheres to the baking sheet. Create meringue ghosts by piping 3 circular forms one on top of the other, like a snowman. Gently press chocolate chips “eyes” into meringues.
6. Bake for 1 ½ hours. Turn off the oven and allow the meringues to continue to dry in the oven for a few hours, or up to overnight.