1/2 cup salted butter
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter, not natural or organic that separates
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup + 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips + more for toppings
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips + more for toppings
flaky sea salt, optional
- In a medium bowl or large liquid measuring cup, add the butter and peanut butter and microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Whisk together until combined and smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the light brown sugar, granulated sugar, and melted butter and peanut butter. Whisk until combined.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, and mix for 2-3 minutes to add air into the egg whites. The mixture should be glossy before moving to the next step.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Use a spatula to fold until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- For large cookies, use a 3 TBSP cookie scoop to portion 15 cookies onto a parchment lined sheet pan. For small cookies, do the same, but with a standard 1 TBSP cookie scoop. Chill the dough for at least an hour, up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350. Arrange the dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet leaving room between each cookie for spreading.
- Bake large cookies for 11-12 minutes, and small cookies for 9-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and bang it on the counter two or three times to encourage cookies to flatten more and create crinkled edges. Use a rubber spatula to scoot any runaway edges back into place.
- Top with flaky sea salt if desired and extra chocolate chips and allow cookies to cool on the hot cookie sheet for 4-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
The cookies will be very soft coming out of the oven but will set up as they cool and result in perfectly crisp edges and gooey centers.
Dough can be portioned and frozen for up to three months before baking, Bake from frozen and follow directions, adding an additional 2-3 minutes to the bake time.