1 can (28 oz.) whole fire roasted tomatoes
1 medium white onion, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas
Crispy Pita Chips:
2 Tablespoons olive 0il
4 6-inch pitas, cut into strips
Salt, as desired
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, spices and salt to a blender jar and blend until smooth. Pour sauce into a 12-inch skillet and add in chickpeas. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 10-15 minutes until sauce has slightly reduced.
- Meanwhile, brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Place the pita strips in a single layer, brush with the rest of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 6-7 minutes, remove and brush the other side of the pita strips with olive oil and salt until crispy and golden brown. If the strips are still not crispy, broil them for a couple minutes, but watch them closely. Remove from the oven and preheat the broiler.
- Once the sauce has thickened, remove from the heat. Crack the eggs individually into the pan, distributing them as evenly as possible. Return to heat, cover pan and simmer for about 10-12 minutes, until the whites are nearly – but not completely – opaque. Sprinkle the surface with the feta cheese and place under the broiler for 2 minutes, just until the cheese is blistered and bubbly.
- Top with the broken pieces of pita and fresh parsley. Let it set for 10-15 minutes and serve.