Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cook Time: 20 Mins
Makes: 16 Servings
2 jalapeño peppers
1/4 cup 35% heavy cream
8 Large Eggs
Kosher salt and pepper
3 Tbsp canola oil
8 breakfast sausages (about 1 oz each)
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 cup shredded aged Cheddar cheese
16 prepared mini buttermilk biscuits, split
1 large green tomato, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
1. POSITION oven rack in top third of oven.
2. PREHEAT oven to broil. Place jalapeños on small baking sheet; broil, turning occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until charred. Transfer to small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 5 minutes; peel skin. Chop jalapeños coarsely into small pieces (remove seeds for less heat); set aside.
3. WHISK together cream, eggs and pinch of salt and pepper in small bowl.
4. HEAT oil in 10-inch nonstick ovenproof sauté pan set over medium-high heat; cook breakfast sausages for 4 to 6 minutes or until browned, breaking up meat with wooden spoon. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausages to plate; set aside.
5. REDUCE heat to medium; in same sauté pan, cook onion for 4 to 6 minutes or until lightly caramelized. Return jalapeños and sausages to pan, stirring to combine. Pour egg mixture into pan; cook for about 3 minutes or until frittata is almost set but top is still runny. Sprinkle Cheddar over top.
6. TRANSFER pan to oven; broil for about 3 minutes or until lightly puffed and cheese is golden brown. Turn off oven; let stand in oven for 5 minutes.
7. ARRANGE biscuits on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; place in oven to warm through. Using rubber spatula, loosen frittata from pan and invert onto cutting board; cut into 16 pieces. Sandwich frittata and green tomato slices in biscuits.
For an even meatier version, add a few slices of crisp bacon.
Pro Tips would go here….
Per 1 sandwich
Saturated Fat 4.5g