4 large egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
- Start by preheating the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Add egg whites, cream of tartar and salt to your stand mixer bowl and whip on medium speed until white and foamy.
- Slowly add in sugar in intervals of 8 until combined then turn mixer speed to high.
- Whip meringue until very VERY stiff peaks have formed and meringue is very glossy and white.
- At this point you can make any variation below you would like.
– Tint 3/4s of meringue a pink color and the remaining meringue in a light green. Add both tinted meringues to two different piping bags fitted with a star tip.
– On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, take a pencil and draw triangles in various sizes then flip over.
– Using the triangles as a guide, pipe the pink meringue inside the triangles only leaving the very bottom left. Fill in the bottom with the green meringue to make it look like watermelon slices.
– Finally sprinkle the tops of the watermelons with poppy seeds or sesame seeds then bake according to instructions above.
– Divide meringue into 4-6 different bowls and tint in various pastel colors.
– Alternate adding the tinted meringue into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
– On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, carefully pipe out thick and long squiggly shapes. The colors should begin to blend together in a fun watercolor pattern.
– Next add popsicle sticks into the inside. Then add sprinkles, glitter and unicorn toppers if desired then bake according to instructions above.
Patriotic Cookie Stacks
– In an empty piping bag fitted with a large star tip, carefully drag thick red and blue lines of food coloring in the inside of the bag.
– Then scoop in meringue and pipe small stars on a parchment paper lined baking sheet then bake according to instructions above. The stars should be red, white and blue.
– Finally add meringue stars to small red velvet cookies topped with buttercream and serve.
6. To bake, add meringue cookies for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until crisp and light. Make sure that it does not brown so carefully begin checking around the hour and a half mark. Then serve.