Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 12 Mins
Makes: 10 Servings
6 eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
MAPLE WHIPPED CREAM:
1 cup whipping cream or heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1. CUT a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper to fit bottom of a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan. PLACE paper on bottom of pan. SPRAY bottom and sides of pan with cooking spray. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. BEAT egg whites in large bowl of mixer until foamy. BEAT in cream of tartar and salt. Continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
3. BEAT egg yolks and brown sugar in a separate large bowl until thick, about 3 minutes; stir in molasses. STIR in combined flour and spices.
4. FOLD in beaten egg whites, just until all ingredients are combined. POUR batter into prepared pan.
5. BAKE 10 to 12 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched with your finger. LOOSEN sides of cake and carefully invert onto clean towel sprinkled lightly with powdered sugar. REMOVE paper carefully from cake. ROLL cake up in towel, starting from narrow end. PLACE seam side down on cooling rack; cool completely.
6. For filling, PLACE pie filling in bowl. CUT apples into small pieces using scissors. STIR in cinnamon and pecans.
7. UNROLL cake carefully. SPREAD apple mixture to within 1/2-inch of edges. ROLL cake, without towel, into a cylinder. WRAP in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
8. When ready to serve, BEAT whipping cream, powdered sugar and maple syrup in small bowl of mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. SLICE cake roll and top each serving with some of whipped cream mixture.
- Use whipped cream mixture as filling for the cake roll. Top with additional whipped cream when ready to serve.
- Eggs separate more easily when cold. Refrigerate yolks until ready to use. Let egg whites come to room temperature before whipping for best volume.
- You need to work quickly to remove cake from baking pan and rolling it up. Letting the cake cool will cause it to crack when you try to roll it up in the towel.
Nutrition information per serving (1/10 of recipe): 376 calories; 15g total fat; 7g saturated fat; 2g polyunsaturated fat; 6g monounsaturated fat; 141mg cholesterol; 146mg sodium; 55g carbohydrate; 2g dietary fiber; 6g protein; 521.4IU Vitamin A; 17.3IU Vitamin D; 0mcg folate; 87.8mg calcium; 1.9mg iron, 10.5mg choline.
This recipe is a good source of protein, Vitamin A, and iron.