Prep Time: 20 Mins
Cook Time: 10 Mins
Makes: 6-1/2 Dozen Cookies
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 EGGS, room temperature
1/3 cup light unsulphured molasses
1/3 cup turbinado OR granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1. MIX flour, 1 Tbsp. ginger, 2 tsp. cinnamon, baking soda, salt and cloves in large bowl.
2. COMBINE 2 cups sugar and butter in mixer bowl. BEAT on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. ADD eggs and molasses; beat on low speed until blended. Gradually ADD flour mixture, beating until blended.
3. REFRIGERATE, covered, until firm enough to shape, about 1 hour or overnight.
4. HEAT oven to 350°F. MIX spiced sugar ingredients in small bowl. Work with 1/3 of the dough at a time, keeping remaining dough refrigerated. SHAPE dough into 1-inch balls; roll in spiced sugar mixture. PLACE 2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined or ungreased baking sheets.
5. BAKE in 350°F oven until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. COOL on baking sheets 5 minutes. REMOVE to wire racks; cool completely.
Chilled dough is easier to handle and holds its shape better.
Nutrition information per cookie: 72 calories; 3 g total fat; 2 g saturated fat; 0 g polyunsaturated fat; 1 g monounsaturated fat; 13 mg cholesterol; 43 mg sodium; 12 g carbohydrate; 0 g dietary fiber; 1 g protein; 83.5 IU Vitamin A; 3.3 IU Vitamin D; 11.3 mcg folate; 6.7 mg calcium; 040 mg iron; 7.0 mg choline.