6 large egg whites; room temperature
3.4 tsp. cream of tartar
2/3 cup of granulated sugar, divided
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- HEAT oven to 400°F. COAT 15½ x 10½ x 1-inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray. LINE bottom with waxed or parchment paper; SPRAY paper with cooking spray.
- BEAT egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, ADD ⅓ cup of granulated sugar, 2 Tbsp. at a time, BEATING after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. (RUB a bit of mixture between thumb and forefinger; it should feel completely smooth.) CONTINUE beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
- BEAT egg yolks in a clean mixer bowl on high speed until thick and lemon-colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually BEAT in the remaining ⅓ cup granulated sugar until the mixture is pale yellow and sugar is dissolved. BEAT in vanilla and salt.
- SIFT flour over egg whites. ADD yolk mixture. FOLD gently but thoroughly until the color is uniform and no streaks of flour remain. Do not stir. SPREAD into prepared pan.
- BAKE in 400°F oven until center springs back when lightly tapped with a finger, 10 to 12 minutes.
- SPRINKLE clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar. LOOSEN cake from sides of pan with knife. INVERT cake onto towel; carefully PEEL off waxed paper. TRIM all cake edges with a serrated knife. ROLL up the cake, starting from the short end and rolling towel in with the cake. COOL wrapped cake roll, seam-side down on wire rack.
Try filling this light sponge cake roll with sliced strawberries, peaches, or bananas folded into whipped cream, lemon curd or custard. Dust with powdered sugar
To fill a cake roll, carefully unwrap the cooled cake; remove the towel. Spread evenly with filling and re-roll the cake. Refrigerate, covered, and seam-side down. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Cut crosswise into slices with a serrated knife.