Prep Time: 55 Mins
Cook Time: 35 Mins
4 large EGGS
½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
½ cup canola oil
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1¼ cups buttermilk
3 cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
9 cups powdered sugar, sifted
10 Tbsp. heavy cream or milk
2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 pinches fine table salt
4 cups sweetened coconut flakes
7 strawberries, green tops cut off
Small tube or pen black gel frosting
1 drop red food coloring
1 Tbsp. edible pearls and jelly beans (or other fun sprinkles)
1. PREHEAT oven to 350° F. SPRAY 2 9-inch cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. SET aside.
2. COMBINE butter, canola oil and sugar in a bowl of a stand mixer. MIX until well combined and creamy.
3. ADD eggs, one at a time. MIX well after each addition. STIR in vanilla extract.
4. WHISK together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate medium bowl.
5. ADD buttermilk, ¼ cup at a time, alternating with flour mixture and mixing with large spoon until just combined after each addition. Do not over mix.
6. DIVIDE batter into prepared cake pans. BAKE for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. COOL cakes in pans for 10-15 minutes before inverting on a large tray to cool completely before frosting.
8. To make buttercream frosting, MIX unsalted butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract and fine table salt; use a whip attachment, starting slowly and gradually increasing the speed until light and fluffy. ADD more cream or powdered sugar as needed to get the desired consistency.
9. PLACE one whole 9-inch cake layer on large serving tray, forming the bunny’s head. CUT 2 convex-shaped ears from each side of the second layer. PLACE on each side of head to form ears. PLACE concave-shaped piece below head for bowtie.
10. FROST bunny head and ears with white frosting, covering top and sides. PAT coconut flakes evenly over top and sides.
11. SLICE one strawberry in half lengthwise. USE one half for bunny nose and place in the center of the bunny head pointy side down. ARRANGE blueberries to form eyes.
12. SLICE remaining strawberries lengthwise, cutting 3-4 slices from each strawberry. ARRANGE strawberry slices on ears, cut parts facing up to detail the ears.
13. DRAW mouth and whiskers with black gel frosting tube or pen.
14. ADD red food coloring drop to remaining white frosting. STIR until frosting evenly turns pink. FROST bowtie. DECORATE with edible pearls and jelly beans.
Frost and cover with coconut flakes, store in the refrigerator.
Total Fat 30 g
Saturated Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g
Monounsaturated Fat 10 g
Sodium 290 mg
Total Carbohydrate 67 g
Sugar 44 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 150 mcg
Calcium 70 mg
Iron 1.7 mg
Vitamin D 0.3 mcg
Folate 55 µg
Choline 50 mg
Potassium 180 mg