Prep Time: 30 Mins
Cook Time: 55 Mins
6 egg whites at room temperature
⅛ tsp cream of tartar
1 ½ cups sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp vanilla
2 ½ tsp corn starch
10 cups peeled and diced honey crisp apples (about 6 large apples)
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
¼ teaspoon salt
6 Tbsp pre-made caramel sauce
Make the meringues:
- Use an egg separator to carefully separate egg whites from egg yolks. Allow egg whites to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. This will help create more volume in the meringues!
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add 1 ½ cups sugar a little bit at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form and meringue is no longer gritty, scraping down the sides of the bowl. This will take about 10-15 minutes. Note: hand beaters are not recommended as they do not get as much speed and therefore volume in your egg whites.
- Beat in lemon juice and vanilla extract. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in cornstarch.
- Using a spring loaded ice cream scoop, gently scoop out rounds of meringue onto prepared baking sheets about 2” apart.
- Use the back of a small spoon to create indents in the middle of each meringue for the filling.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the meringues are dry to the touch.
- Turn off the oven and let the meringue dry out completely in the oven with the door closed for 30 minutes.
Make the Apple Filling:
- Meanwhile, peel and dice apples and place in a heavy bottomed pot or saucepan.
- Add lemon juice, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook over medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until the apples are softened but still firm.
- Cool before filling meringues.
Assemble the Meringues:
- To serve, place a meringue on a serving plate and fill with a small scoop of apple filling. Drizzle with salted caramel sauce and serve immediately.
Meringues can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Fill with apples just before serving.
Do not store it with filling in the meringues or they will become soggy.