Prep Time: 30 Mins
Cook Time: 40 Mins
1 baked pie crust (prepared per package directions)
1 ½ cups butternut squash, diced
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
1 shallot, sliced
4 cups fresh spinach
2 tsp. fresh sage
5 large eggs
1 cup half and half (substitute whole milk)
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- Prepare pie crust according to package directions. If using homemade pie crust, par-bake for 15 minutes at 400˚ F before adding the filling.
- Peel and dice the butternut squash and arrange on a baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and bake at 400˚ F for about 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, lightly saute the sliced shallots in butter or olive oil until fragrant and slightly softened. Add in the spinach and fresh sage and continue to cook until the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt and pepper.
- Layer the cheese, roasted squash, and spinach in the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Bake at 350˚ F for 30-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the eggs are cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes before slicing.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.