Prep Time: 30 Mins
Cook Time: 15 Mins
Makes: 8 Servings
1 Vanilla Wafer Crust, cooled
2 bananas, sliced
1 cup heavy cream, whipped sweetened
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar Banana for garnish (optional)
Caramel Sauce (Optional) Filling:
4 egg yolks
2 cups milk
2 cup sugar
2 cup cornstarch
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter
2 tsp. vanilla
- BEAT egg yolks well in medium bowl; gradually stir in milk until blended.
- MIX sugar, cornstarch and salt in large heavy saucepan. GRADUALLY stir in milk mixture until blended.
- COOK over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 10 to 15 minutes. BOIL and stir 1 minute. REMOVE from heat immediately. STIR IN butter and vanilla.
- POUR half of the vanilla custard into the piecrust. Arrange 2 bananas over filling. Top with remaining filling. PRESS piece of plastic wrap onto surface of pastry cream to prevent “skin” from forming. REFRIGERATE until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours.
- SPREAD whipped cream over filling. Garnish with additional bananas and a drizzle of caramel sauce. SERVE IMMEDIATELY.
- Refrigerate any leftover pie promptly.
- Pie crust options: Pie can be made with any standard baked 9-inch piecrust or with Graham Cracker Crumb Crust or Gingersnap Crumb Crust.
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe):
475 calories; 27 g total fat; 15 g saturated fat; 3 g polyunsaturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat; 161 mg cholesterol; 213 mg sodium; 54 g carbohydrate; 1 g dietary fiber; 5 g protein; 964.5 IU Vitamin A; 62.9 IU Vitamin D; 43.5 mcg folate; 108.1 mg calcium; .4 mg iron; 89.7 mg choline.