Prep Time: 10 Mins
Cook Time: 10 Mins
Makes: 1 Serving
1 thick slice country white bread
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 large Egg
2 thin slices avocado
2 thin slices tomato
2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and pepper, optional
- TOAST bread. SPREAD with butter.
- Meanwhile, SPRAY a small skillet with cooking spray. FRY egg according to personal preference for doneness.
- TOP bread with avocado and tomato. SPRINKLE with cilantro. PLACE egg on top. SPRINKLE with salt and pepper if desired.
- Substitute mayonnaise for the butter.
- A poached egg may be prepared instead of a fried egg to top the toast.
- Add chopped green onions and shredded Cheddar cheese to this tasty open-faced sandwich, if desired.
- Garnish plate with a sprig of cilantro.
- Fresh eggs are best for frying or poaching.
- To FRY an egg, spray small skillet with cooking spray OR add 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil. HEAT skillet on medium-high heat. SLIP egg into pan and immediately reduce heat to low. COOK slowly until white is completely set and yolk begins to thicken. BASTE egg with butter OR turn over to cook both sides.
- To POACH an egg, bring 2 to 3-inches of water to boiling in deep skillet or omelet pan. BREAK cold egg into a custard cup. SLIP egg into water. COOK until whites are completely set and yolk begins to thicken but is not hard, about 3 to 5 minutes. REMOVE carefully with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe):
219 calories; 5 g total fat; 2 g saturated fat; 1 g polyunsaturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat; 178 mg cholesterol; 677 mg sodium; 20 g carbohydrate; 1 g dietary fiber; 20 g protein; 294.0 IU Vitamin A; 36.1 IU Vitamin D; 57.4 mcg folate; 38.3 mg calcium; 2.0 mg iron; 135.6 mg choline.