Holiday gatherings may look a bit different this year, but no matter how many loved ones are around the table, homemade recipes bring love and comfort. Try one – or all – of these six easy recipes to make a homecooked holiday meal that is sure to raise spirits. All have been featured on WRAL’s Local Dish segment, hosted by Lisa Prince, executive director of the North Carolina Egg Association.
1. Chocolate Pecan Chess Pie – Chess pie is a Southern tradition, and there are so many ways to make it. The pecans add just the right texture and flavor, so the pie isn’t too sweet. Rich and creamy, this indulgent Chocolate Pecan Chess Pie is sure to be a holiday hit!
2. Sweet Potato Pudding – This easy dish is filled with sweet potatoes, brown sugar and all the flavors of fall. Sweet potato pudding is the perfect sweet and savory Southern side dish to complement any holiday meal.
3. Pumpkin Pound Cake – Still craving pumpkin? Dense and delicious, Pumpkin Pound Cake puts a holiday twist on a classic Southern style pound cake that everyone will love. It’s easy to make and hard to eat just one piece!
4. Homemade Eggnog – A special holiday tradition, Homemade Eggnog is a rich, creamy and egg-y favorite. Keep it kid-friendly or stir in brandy, rum or bourbon for a tasty adult treat. For a more festive presentation, garnish with whipped cream, ground nutmeg, cinnamon sticks or candy canes.
5. Apple Pecan Cheesecake Bars – North Carolina ranks seventh in U.S. apple production, with over 40 varieties of apples grown in the state. This recipe is made with NC Gala apples, but NC Granny Smith or NC Fuji would be tasty, too! Creamy and sweet, these Apple Pecan Cheesecake bars taste like slices of heaven.
6. Braswell Family Farms Christmas Morning Casserole – Wake up to the smell of sausage and eggs cooking on Christmas morning. A special holiday tradition at Braswell Family Farms, this Christmas Morning Casserole can be made and baked immediately or refrigerated overnight for an easy make-ahead holiday breakfast dish.
Visit our recipe collection for more festive recipes to enjoy this season. Happy Holidays!