Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
|WHAT YOU NEED|
|Sugar for dish|
|6||EGG WHITES, room temperature|
|3/4||tsp. cream of tartar|
|1/2||cup canned pumpkin|
|1/2||tsp. pumpkin pie spice|
- HEAT oven to 375°F. COAT 4 lightly greased 8-ounce soufflé dishes evenly and completely with sugar. PLACE in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- BEAT egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, ADD 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp. at a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. (Rub a bit of mixture between thumb and forefinger; it should feel completely smooth.) Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
- BEAT egg yolks in separate bowl on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. FOLD IN pumpkin and pie spice. Gently but thoroughly FOLD yolk mixture into whites until no streaks of white remain. POUR into soufflé dishes, dividing evenly.
- PLACE pan with soufflé dishes on rack in middle of 375°F oven. POUR very hot water into pan to within 1/2 inch of top of dishes. BAKE until soufflés are puffy and delicately browned, 15 to 20 minutes. SERVE IMMEDIATELY.
- Serve with gingersnaps.
- Follow the age-old rule – the soufflé doesn’t wait for the guests, the guests wait for the soufflé. Be ready to whisk the soufflé to the table as soon as it’s out of the oven.
- For detailed soufflé techniques and information, see Basic Cheese Soufflé.
- The egg white component of this soufflé, made in step 2, is actually a soft meringue. For more information, see Basic Soft Meringue.
Nutrition information per serving (1/4 of recipe): 267 calories; 7 g total fat; 2 g saturated fat; 1 g polyunsaturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat; 277 mg cholesterol; 169 mg sodium; 42 g carbohydrate; 1 g dietary fiber; 10 g protein; 5,134.4 IU Vitamin A; 55.6 IU Vitamin D; 43.0 mcg folate; 46.2 mg calcium; 1.2 mg iron; 177.6 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, Vitamin A, choline, and a good source of Vitamin D and folate.