|KEY LIME ANGEL PIE|
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 1 hour
Makes: 8 servings
|WHAT YOU NEED|
|-can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk|
|1/2||-cup fresh Key lime juice|
|-tsp. freshly grated Key lime peel|
|1||-baked Meringue Pie Shell|
- BEAT egg yolks, milk, lime juice and lime peel in medium heavy saucepan until blended. COOK over low heat, stirring constantly but gently, until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a thin film and temperature reaches 160°F, about 15 minutes. Do not allow to boil. REMOVE from heat immediately.
- COOL quickly: Set pan in larger pan of ice water; stir occasionally and gently for a few minutes to hasten cooling. PRESS piece of plastic wrap onto surface of custard to prevent a “skin” from forming. REFRIGERATE until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour.
- SPREAD lime custard evenly in meringue pie shell before serving.
- Garnish with whipped cream, lime slices and fresh mint.
- Refrigerate pie, covered, several hours or overnight, to develop full flavor and to soften the meringue.
- Substitution: If Key limes are not available, use regular limes.
- For neat slices, dip knife into glass of water, letting excess water drip off, before each cut.
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe): 264 calories; 6 g total fat; 3 g saturated fat; 0 g polyunsaturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat; 86 mg cholesterol; 87 mg sodium; 48 g carbohydrate; 0 g dietary fiber; 6 g protein; 232.1 IU Vitamin A; 16.9 IU Vitamin D; 16.8 mcg folate; 152.8 mg calcium; .3 mg iron; 88.6 mg choline.