Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
|WHAT YOU NEED|
|1||tsp. canola oil|
|1/4||cup finely chopped onion|
|1||small garlic clove, minced|
|tsp. each ground cumin and dried oregano
|tbsp. each tomato paste and finely chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo|
|1||can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained|
|4||small corn tortillas|
|Salt and pepper|
|1/4||cup crumbled feta cheese|
|cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- HEAT oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. COOK onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often, or until softened. STIR in cumin, oregano, salt, tomato paste and chipotles for 1 minute or until combined. ADD tomatoes with juice; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. REMOVE skillet from heat and cover to keep warm.
- BAKE tortillas in single layer on large baking sheet in preheated 400ºF oven for 7 to 10 minutes or until crispy.
- For Sunny-Side Up, Over-Easy or Over-Hard Eggs: HEAT butter in large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat until just melted. BREAK eggs and slip into skillet 1 at a time. Immediately reduce heat to low.
- COOK eggs for about 5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. SERVE as is or flip eggs over carefully and cook to desired doneness. SPRINKLE eggs lightly with salt and pepper.
- SPOON warm sauce evenly over tortillas on 4 plates. TOP each tortilla with fried egg and sprinkle with feta and cilantro. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
Tip: Prepare recipe with Queso Fresco instead of the feta cheese if desired.
Tip: For heartier appetites, serve tortillas topped with 2 fried eggs.
Fresh eggs produce the best-looking fried eggs – a compact oval with a thick white and a high centered yolk.
For neater shape, break eggs into custard cup first, rather than directly into the pan. Hold cup close to surface of pan and slip egg from cup into pan.
Heat matters. If heat is too high, eggs will become tough and rubbery. Gentle heat preserves nutrients and allows for even cooking.
Per 1/4 of recipe