Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
|WHAT YOU NEED|
|1||tbsp. canola oil, divided|
|2 1/2||tsp. Tex Mex spice blend, divided|
|8||small corn tortillas, each cut into 6 wedges|
|1/2||cup finely chopped onion|
|3||small garlic cloves, minced|
|seeded finely chopped small jalapeño pepper
|1||tbsp. finely chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo|
|4||cups chopped tomatoes|
|Salt and pepper (optional)|
|1/4||cup crumbled feta cheese|
|1/4||cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro|
- STIR 2 tsp. oil with 1/2 tsp. Tex Mex Spice Blend. TOSS tortilla wedges with oil mixture; bake in single layer on large baking sheet in preheated 400ºF oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until crispy. REMOVE from oven and set aside.
- HEAT remaining oil in large, deep, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. COOK onion, garlic, jalapeño and salt, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until softened. STIR in chipotles and remaining Tex Mex spice blend for about 1 minute or until combined. ADD tomatoes; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. (Prepare eggs during the last 5 to 10 minutes of simmering time.)
- For Sunny-Side Up, Over-Easy or Over-Hard Eggs: HEAT butter in large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat until just melted. BREAK eggs and slip into skillet 1 at a time. Immediately reduce heat to low.
- COOK eggs for about 5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. SERVE as is or flip eggs over carefully and cook to desired doneness. SPRINKLE eggs lightly with salt and pepper if desired.
- STIR reserved tortilla wedges into warm tomato sauce and divide evenly among 4 dinner plates. TOP each serving with 1 fried egg and sprinkle with feta and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Tip: Prepare recipe with Queso Fresco instead of the feta cheese if desired. Omit jalapeño from tomato sauce and garnish finished chilaquiles with chopped pickled jalapeño peppers.
Tip: Skip baking step by using 8 small corn tostadas that are approximately the same size as small corn tortillas. Coarsely break the tostadas into pieces and simply stir into tomato sauce before assembling and serving.
Fresh eggs produce the best-looking fried eggs – a compact oval with a thick white and a high centered yolk.
For neater shape, break eggs into custard cup first, rather than directly into the pan. Hold cup close to surface of pan and slip egg from cup into pan.
Heat matters. If heat is too high, eggs will become tough and rubbery. Gentle heat preserves nutrients and allows for even cooking.
Per 1/4 of recipe